Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's Been A Long Hot Summer...

.And not very conducive to knitting.  Summertime is hard for knitting as it is.  There is lot to do on the house and trying to squeeze a few veggies out of my overheated vegetable plants.  I did get to do some as I sat for a few moments to watch tv in the evenings.  That didn't really happen all that often either but I did get a few things worked on.

When it finally cooled off in September I started knitting like crazy.  Below are some pics on what I have been working on.

First off is Tiger's Blanket.  As promised at Tulsa Fiber Fest I made the most loved animal (in the house) a blanket from the chosen yarn.  The pattern is "Little Fountain" lace pattern from The Knitting Directory by Allison Jenkins.  I think there is more life for this lace pattern.

 The yarn is falkland wool from The Alpaca Legacy.  It's a local company.  I really liked knitting with the yarn but I'm not sure it's good for a 4yr olds toy.  I noticed the other day that there a couple of spots on the edge where the yarn broke.  It seems to be holding up though it spends a good portion of the night wrapped around the most loved Tiger.

 The pattern is "The No-Pattern Hat with Rolled Brim" from Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. This book is turning out to be my go to book for basic patterns.  It is dog-eared, highlighted and well loved.  Almost as much as Tiger.  I'm not very good at following patterns.  I easily lose my place.
She gives basic rules for making basic knitted clothing.  I think my next projects from the book will be a triangle shawl.

The yarn is from Bernat. It's from a  discontinued natural blends line.  It is a acrylic, nylon and cashmere blend.  It is very soft but durable enough for a 4yr. old.  I've had it in the stash for a couple of years. It was on sale at Michael's and I couldn't pass it up.

Em loves the hat so much I didn't have a chance to cut the cast on tail.  The next day at school she wore it all day and was more than a little warm.  I'm also making a matching striped scarf. I wish I knew how to do mittens to have a complete matching set. Yet, another thing to add to the Learning List.

This is a really long scarf from the left over yarn that once was a blanket and an abandoned kitty pillow. There was a lot left over and I needed a new scarf. There was enough to do a really long one.  It's all knit stitch.  The edges are a little rough I'm still trying to figure out this stripe thing and the weaving in thing.

I've recently decided that I need to make my household cleaning cloths.  The red ones are for doing the dishes. I made 5.  the Star Trek ones are for bath time. The pattern is Baby Trekkie Washcloth.  The red ones are a simple moss stitch with a border.

This is a little swatch hat made out of Cascade Yarns Cherub DK color #10.  I have an idea  for a project in this yarn. I had to test the yarn to see if I like it. This is my first time with a small gauge acrylic.  Getting started was rough.  It is very stretchy.  I eventually got there with it.  It's a perfect newborn size. A gift is at the ready although it needs some embellishment.

Now that the weather has cooled down I am spending more time indoors with needles in hand. Trying to get the cold weather gear for the family.


No comments:

Post a Comment